- The Afghan National Security Forces and ISAF are making progress on the ground.
- The Afghan National Army is a significant success story.
- NOTE to PAO: If pressed, reference to force capability deficiencies rather than estimated numbers should be made. In general, issues concerning force generation should not be debated in public.
- Progress is steady, but there remains a long way to go.
- Any talk of stationing or deploying Russian military assets in Afghanistan is out of the question and has never been the subject of any considerations.