If you thought Iraqi politics were complex, look at this.
It’s an excellent PowerPoint presentation of who runs Iran, and how, by Mehrzad Boroujerdi, an associate professor at the Maxwell School of Syracuse University and director of its Middle Eastern Studies Program.
Points of note:
- External pressures don’t bring about regime change.
- Iranian leaders are pragmatists, not lunatics.
- The revolution is over. “After three decades, normal life no longer sustains intense revolutionary attitudes.”
- “Iranians don’t necessarily like their regime, but they love their country.”
- Many important conservatives believe Ahmadinejad has overplayed his hand in the nuclear issue.
- The new U.S. administration should wait until June 2009 to see who becomes President.